by Henry Gould – March 17th, 2020
I’m generally an optimistic guy (not so sure I love the phrase “hopelessly” optimistic…) and one thing I think might be a silver lining to the recent Coronavirus world-pause is a chance for people to spend more time with each other, at home, and perhaps even cooking more for themselves.
Of course this means less foot traffic for our community of restaurants who depend on people not cooking at home, an obvious negative impact of this world health epidemic. Nevertheless, I see many businesses are shifting their approach to accommodate more take-out and delivery options, as well as others innovative ideas such as take home meal kits, which is all inspiring to see.
Since the Yard Athletics blog started, we’ve slowly but surely amassed a great collection of recipes that are healthy, easy to cook, hopefully don’t require too many hard-to-find ingredients, and most of all, taste amazing.
Below are some of the greatest hits, which we think will bring the utmost joy and pleasure to cook and eat while we all take a few days to “keep our distance”.
- The blogs first recipe! A classic, which can be eaten on their own, in a sandwich, or with pasta
- Use gluten-free breadcrumbs if you want to omit wheat, or even some leftover cooked rice
- One of our first guest feature recipes!
- These delicious banana pancakes are gluten free and dairy free, and packed with protein-nutrient rice chickpea flour
- Make a big batch to freeze in ziploc bags, then throw a few in the toaster to reheat for an instant breakfast
- The ultimate chicken soup to get you through any potential sickness, or just an extended home stay
- Miso add amazing flavor and seasoning, in addition to being very healthy
- Soba noodles are easy to find, especially in Japanese / Chinese supermarkets
- The ultimate cupboard dinner!
- Canned tuna, rice, and whatever vegetables you have an on hand.
- Like avocado toast, but better.
- Cheap and easy snack that can be made with minimal ingredients.
- Bump up the protein with a poached or hard boiled egg on top