by Henry Gould – May 13th, 2020
As the weather gets warmer and our time away from the gym grows longer, we need to get creative with our workouts. The Zoom workouts with Yard Athletics are great, as is our Dumbbell & Bodyweight Online Programming, but sometimes you need to switch it up.
Sprints are the switch up you need right now. Not only is sprinting a more mentally stimulating activity than hours spent jogging, it’s easier on your joints, boosts muscle growth, builds speed and burns calories like no other.
The best place to do sprint workouts in either on a running track, or some sort of turf field. If you have cleats or feel comfortable doing sprints on grass, by all means go ahead, but be aware the risks of slipping and falling without adequate grip.
Almost more important than the sprint workout itself is a good warm-up and stretching before / after. If you’re not prepared to warm-up and stretch, don’t sprint! Otherwise your risk of injury goes through the roof.
If you have a favored warm-up routine, feel free to follow that combined with static stretching.
If you need a good sprint warm-up, here’s a video to one –> LINK
Agility Sprint Workout
Best done on a 100m turf field, or grass field with some cones or markers laid down.
- Start on your stomach, facing forward
- Sprint out ~25m, back peddle 10m, then sprint out to finish at the 50m line
- Walk back as slow as possible to gather your breath
- Repeat 5x
- Lateral shuffle 15m left, stop, then lateral shuffle back 15m right, then sprint 100m straight ahead
- Repeat 4x
- Set up a rectangle ~5m vertical and ~10m horizontal
- Sprint straight up 5m, shuffle laterally 10m right, stop, shuffle laterally 10m left, back peddle 5m (to where you started) then up again 5m, laterally right 10m, laterally left 10m, back 5m, then finish with a final 5m sprint straight ahead
- Repeat 4x
- 2 x 100m sprints with 1 minute rest in between
Ladder Sprint Workout
- Interval 1: sprint 30 meters, walk/jog 70 meters
- Interval 2: sprint 40 meters, walk/jog 60 meters
- Interval 3: sprint 50 meters, walk/jog 50 meters
- Interval 4: sprint 60 meters, walk/jog 40 meters
- Interval 5: sprint 70 meters, walk/jog 30 meters
- Interval 6: sprint 80 meters, walk/jog 20 meters
- Interval 7: sprint 90 meters, walk/jog 10 meters
- Interval 8: sprint 80 meters, walk/jog 20 meters
- Interval 9: sprint 70 meters, walk/jog 30 meters
- Interval 10: sprint 60 meters, walk/jog 40 meters
- Interval 11: sprint 50 meters, walk/jog 50 meters
- Interval 12: sprint 40 meters, walk/jog 60 meters
- Interval 13: sprint 30 meters, walk/jog 70 meters
Aerobic Sprint Assault Workout
- 4 x 200m sprints @ 2:00 minute intervals
- e.g. if your sprint takes 35 seconds, you get 85 seconds of rest
- Extended break ~2-4 minutes, depending how tired you are
- 4 x 200m sprints @ 2:00 minute intervals again
- 8 sprints / 1,600m total